I generally try to keep my political views away from this blog. Obviously, some of it will creep in, usually hidden among the assembled track lists. And I'm (probably) going to maintain that stance in the future... but in this moment in time I'm going to go on record and say I've been impressed and heartened by the overwhelming world response to systemic injustice. It's been a motherfucker of a year, but there may be hope yet. In the meantime, stay safe, everybody - and now back to our regularly scheduled programming...
1. C1ose Lobsters All Compasses Go Wild
2. Speedwayz Kisses Are History
3. The Vap0rs Crazy
4. Dangereens Worried Mind
5. Ref1ectors Teenage Heart
6. Duncan Reid & the Big Heads Motherfucker
7. R00kie I Can't Have You But I Want You
8. C0rnershop No Rock Save in Roll
9. Nico1e Atkins Domino
10. Twin Peeks Cawfee
11. Wy1dlife Crime of the Scene
12. Hay1ey & the Crushers Jacaranda
13. X Water and Wine
14. Green Day Stab You In The Heart
15. B1ack Lips Angola Rodeo
16. Kid Gu11iver Susie Survived Chemo
17. Si1ver Sun Over Me At All?
18. Music Band You Can't (Make Someone Love You)
19. Answering Machine Bad Luck
20. Wi11ie Nile New York is Rockin'
21. Brad Marin0 False Alarm
22. Brett Newski Do It Again
23. L0w Cut C0nnie Private Lives
24. Chuck Pr0phet High as Johnny Thunders
Well, we're here again. Time for another covers mix. This one occasionally extends its reach into something like the modern era rather than simply poaching AM gold from the 70s... not that I'm swearing off anything of the sort (I mean, that's my wheelhouse, man) because of the 25 songs almost half of them come from that very decade... and a couple from the decade previous. Y'know what? Maybe ignore everything I just wrote and just enjoy the mix.
1. Krissie Hynde w/ Steve J0nes Do I Love You (The Ronettes)
2. The Speedways Love Really Hurts Without You (Billy Ocean)
3. Jerry Lardieri Even The Losers (Tom Petty)
4. C0rb Lund It's Still Rock 'n' Roll to Me (Billy Joel)
5. Brad Marin0 What's My Scene (Hoodoo Gurus)
6. The Dirty Ni1 September Gurls (Big Star)
7. Phi1 Seymour Now (The Plimsouls)
8. Redd Kr0ss Puss 'n Boots (New York Dolls)
9. Miss Chain & the Broken Hee1s Be With Me (The Yum Yums)
10. The Ratchets 2-4-6-8 Motorway (Tom Robinson Band)
11. Eag1es of Death Meta1 Just Dropped In (The First Edition)
12. Curt Baker C0mbo So Lonely (The Radio)
13. L7 Fake Friends (Joan Jett)
14. Sweet Spirit Paper Tigers (Spoon)
15. Lucy Dacus Dancing in the Dark (Bruce Springsteen)
16. Peawees Alone Again Or (Love)
17. Whyte H0rses Ça Plane Pour Moi (Plastic Bertrand)
18. The Struts Ballroom Blitz (Sweet)
19. Dwayne Gretzky Don't Worry Baby (Beach Boys)
20. The Cherry Dr0ps Tiger Feet (Mud)
21. The Y00hoos Bizarre Love Triangle (New Order)
22. Rave0nettes The Kids Are Alright (The Who)
23. C0rnershop Sugar Sugar (The Archies)
24. Ian McNabb Time Ain't Nothing (Green on Red)
25. Yo1a Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Elton John)
Another concoction to tide us all over while self-isolating. The theme of these mixes is pretty self-explanatory, so I won't belabor the point. Although, I will note that I'm continually surprised (and delighted) that so many of these name titles exist out there. Keep 'em coming!
1. The J0nes Sid Vicious
2. Richard Turge0n Keanu Reeves
3. Jeremy Messersmith Jim Bakker
4. Jagger Ho11y Bree Olson
5. The Get Up Kids Lou Barlow
6. Sunshine B0ys John Cage
7. A1ex Lahey Wes Anderson
8. A1ex Cameron Marlon Brando
9. The Snuts Fatboy Slim
10. Ve1vet Negroni Kurt Kobain
11. L0wer Dens Buster Keaton
12. The Suite16 Bob Greene
13. The Mowg1i's Norman Rockwell
14. The Pride of Erie, PA Betty Draper
15. N0 Win Shelly Duvall
16. Bandit Queen Frida Kahlo
17. C1are Maguire Elizabeth Taylor
18. Drivin N Cryin Ian Mclagan
19. B0b Segarini Groucho Marx
20. The Stars Exp1ode Matthew Sweet
21. Simon Love Joey Ramone
22. The Gumbys Linda Blair
1. Crybabys What Kind of Rock 'n' Roll
2. The Ravyns Rock 'n' Roll Bitches
3. Kimber1y Rew Rock 'n' Roll Summer
4. Fancey Rock 'n' Roll Rhythm
5. Cha11enger 7 Rock 'n' Roll Sound
6. Pa1e Lips Rock 'n' Roll Dipshit
7. Intercontinenta1 P1ayboys Rock 'n' Roll Johnny
8. Creem Circus Rock 'n' Roll Stew
9. Biters Rock 'n' Roll Loser
10. Jordy Birch Rock 'n' Roll Karma
11. Ju1iette Seizure & the Tremor Do11s Rock 'n' Roll Babe
12. Sour Jazz Rock 'n' Roll Star
13. The D4 Rock 'n' Roll Motherfucker
14. S'coo1 Gir1s Rock 'n' Roll Discotek
15. The Vibrators Rock 'n' Roll Rescue
16. Ken Sharp Rock 'n' Roll Supershow
17. Caro1ine & the Treats Rock 'n' Roll Love Affair
18. Si1ver Sun Rock 'n' Roll Widow
19. The Yum Yums Rock 'n' Roll Tonight
20. St0neage Hearts Rock 'n' Roll Boys Rock 'n' Roll Girls
21. Barrence Whitfie1d & the Savages Rock 'n' Roll Baby
22. Wi11ie Ni1e Rock 'n' Roll Sister
23. Patsy's Rats Rock 'n' Roll Friend
24. The Cinders Rock 'n' Roll Tramp
Try as I might, I just can't seem to catch all the great music that's released over any given year. A big part of the reason for that, of course, is that this blog tends to mine for the most obstinately obscure nuggets in the most hidden corners of modern pop culture (with the occasional exception). And that's not going to change, so these Orphans mixes are necessary as a catch-all for all the cool tunes that I missed. And jeebus, I missed a lot of cool tunes. Like, there's an underground re-visitation of 70s style glam rock that somehow evaded my grasp during 2019 - but I found a bunch of it, and it's dispersed among the more typical entries on the mix, so be warned if you have any personal allergies to the junk shop stomp of bands like Slade. Me? I can't stop blaring it.
1. Sp00n No Bullets Spent
2. Ha1ey Mary The Piss, The Perfume
3. Sunf1ower Bean King of the Dudes
4. Detroit C0bras Stay Down
5. Sister J0hn I'm The One
6. The Dates Star
7. Creem Circus Automatic Style
8. Rusty Strange Game
9. Hammered Satin Dynamite
10. The Sore1s She's in the Gang
11. Linda Kay I Wanna Love You
12. Wyatt B1air Cherry Rose
13. Dead Furies Stay Gold, Ponyboy
14. The Vicious Cyc1es Life Insurance
15. Crimina1 Hygiene Incompletely
16. Yo1a Love All Night (Work All Day)
17. The Last Bees Can't Wait
18. The King Khan Experience Turkey Ride
19. James Ha11 Purr...
20. Martha Orange Juice
21. Baby Shakes Cause a Scene
22. BB Sea Be Bop Palooza
23. The Nuc1ears Lightspeed Getaway
24. Rea1 Sickies Bye Bye
Early fans may complain about the added sheen, space, and (gasp) maturity in the mix, but any initial resistance will be steamrollered by the boatloads of hooks. Prepare to fall in love immediately.
2. The Sweet Things In Borrowed Shoes, On Borrowed Time
I was recently lamenting the dearth of bona fide sleazoid Exile-On-Main-Street worship in modern music, and then this album shows up to kick my ass around the block and teach us all how it's done.
3. The Delta Riggs Modern Pressure
An album difficult to adequately describe, using elements of classic rock in its melody and disco in its bottom end, some punk here and indie there, all of which is topped by Elliot Hammond's oddly charismatic (or charismatically odd) drawl.
4. Imani Coppola The Protagonist
A seemingly personal statement that ties together some of the various strands of Mr. Coppola's immense talent, ranging from R&B cool to indie rock to a cuttingly sardonic folk complaint.
5. Twin Peaks Lookout Low At this point existing perfectly out-of-time, Twin Peaks continue to follow their own obscure muse, making a loosely structured version of (uh, let's call it) classic rock that requires some patience and - most importantly - richly rewards that patience.
6. Natalie Sweet Oh By The Way... It's Natalie Sweet
Bouncy, hook-filled rock 'n' roll that splits the difference between the most bubblegum Ramones tunes and most bubblegum of the 60s girl groups, with welcome help from the estimable Morten Henriksen of the Yum Yums.
7. Jordan Jones Jordan Jones The song "Rumors Girls" might be the best pure power pop song of the year, and the rest don't land too far off that lofty target.
8. Attic Lights Love in the Time of Shark Attacks
Scottish group reappears after a 6 year lay-off with their absolute mastery of hooks, harmonies, and crunchy melancholy wholly intact.
9. Pat Todd & the RankOutsiders The Past Came Callin' From his days with the Lazy Cowgirls to the present, Pat Todd has married Johnny Cash to Johnny Thunders in ways that'll either have you crying in your beer or moshing in a frenzy.
10. Starcrawler Devour You While still trafficking in big riffs and chaos, the band has opened the door to honest-to-god hooks and (swear to god) subtlety, as evidenced most notably on the Stonesy "No More Pennies."
11. Sheer Mag A Distant Call 12. Ryan Hamilton & the Harlequin Ghosts This Is The Sound 13. The Brothers Steve #1 14. Ulysses On Safari 15. Charlie Faye & the Fayettes The Whole Shebang 16. The Dip The Dip Delivers 17. Josie Cotton Everything Is Oh Yeah 18. Terry and Louie ...A Thousand Guitars 19. Olivia Jean Night Owl 20. Velveteen Rabbit Velveteen Rabbit
21. More Kicks More Kicks 22. Ten Tonnes Ten Tonnes 23. Nick Waterhouse Nick Waterhouse 24. The Successful Failures Saratoga 25. Diamond Dogs Recall Rock 'n' Roll and the Magic Soul 26. Alex Lahey The Best of Luck Club 27. Pale Lips After Dark 28. The Whiffs Another Whiff 29. Asa Lucid 30. Ex Hex It's Real
31. Amyl & the Sniffers Amyl & the Sniffers 32. Reese McHenry No Dados 33. The Regrettes How Do You Love? 34. Extra Arms Up To Here 35. Rusty Dogs of Canada 36. Pernice Bros. Spread the Feeling 37. Geoff Palmer Pulling Out All The Stops 38. The Rallies Upside Down 39. Råttanson I'd Much Rather Be With the Noise 40. Hollerado Retaliation Vacation
41. Brad Marino Extra Credit 42. New Swears Night Mirror 43. Papernut Cambridge Outstairs Instairs 44. Long Ryders Psychedelic Country Soul 45. Rheostatics Here Come The Wolves 46. Lisa Prank Perfect Love Song 47. Foxygen Seeing Other People 48. Bloodboy Punk Adjacent 49. Redd Kross Beyond the Door 50. Baby Shakes Cause a Scene
1. Imani Coppo1a Blackteria 2. The Br0thers Steve We Got The Hits 3. New Swears Concrete Cowboy 4. The Sweet Things Drained 5. Terry & Louie (I'm) Looking For A Heart 6. Attic Lights Ruby's Song 7. The De1ta Riggs Fake That 8. O1ivia Jean The Hunt 9. Ryan Hami1ton & the Har1equin Ghosts Mamacita 10. Pat T0dd If Only I Could Fly Backwards in Time 11. Jordan J0nes No Makeup 12. White Reeper Might Be Right 13. The Whiffs My Vision of Love 14. Diamond D0gs Somebody Have Mercy 15. M0re Kicks What a Mess You Make 16. Successfu1 Fai1ures Love You So 17. Pa1e Lips Some Sort of Rock 'n' Roll 18. U1ysses Piper's Chest 19. Nata1ie Sweet Pizza Man 20. Asa Good Thing 21. Twin Peaks Better Than Stoned 22. Nick Waterh0use Undedicated 23. Ve1veteen Rabbit Mind-Numbing Entertainment 24. Sheer Mag Blood from a Stone 25. Starcraw1er Hollywood Ending
I'll take this opportunity, now that we're about to complete another spin around the sun, to thank those of you who have patiently waited for updates to the blog. It's been a busy number of months, and my regular attention to mixes has suffered for it. It should all get back to normal in the new year.
Next up will be the Best of 2019 mix. That should be a good'un. And shortly after that I'll be posting the 2019 Orphans mix (all of the stuff I didn't find until too late to appear on any Faves compilation), and that's already started. There's still a few nooks and crannies left to look.
So hang in there. Thanks and best wishes for the upcoming year.
1. Wy1d1ife Piss the Season
2. Attic L1ghts Santa's Girlfriend
3. The Sun K1ngs Have a Very Merry Xmas
4. CJ Ram0ne Xmas Lullaby
5. J0sh R0use Heartbreak Holiday
6. Brad Marin0Blue Xmas
7. The K1cks Santa Claus is Comin' to the USA
8. Lisa Mycho1s Santa Baby
9. The Breakups & Sweet Hurt Breaking Up For Xmas
10. N1ck Frater Xmas is Cancelled
11. Brenda. Lee Xmas Will Be Just Another Lonely Day
12. Dar1ene Love All Alone on Xmas
13. Jet B0ys Merry Xmas, Fuck You
14. Kimber1y Rew All I Want Is You For Xmas
15. A1oe B1acc Funky Ass Xmas
16. The M0no Men Xmas Time Is For Sinners
17. The Muffz Nothing For Me
18. The Humperz Run, Run Rudolph
19. Quadrajetz Xmas Time is Coming
20. JD McPhers0n Bad Kid
21. The Regrets Ho1iday-ish
22. Vintage Tr0ub1e Soul Noel
23. The D1p Santa's Got a Sweet Tooth
24. Cheap Tr1ck I Want You For Xmas
25. B0b Rivers Walkin' Round in Women's Underwear
Power pop, garage, R&B, Americana, soul, glam, and punk all mixed, matched, masticated, and otherwise mulched.
Everything on this blog is an attempt to support bands and artists that I feel deserve more attention. If you have a problem with my use of a song or a link, please contact me directly and I'll simply remove it. T'ain't no big thang.