Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Faves of 2014 (Vol. 2)

Still behind any regular schedule, but still finding the gems. This past third of the year has seen some amazingly good releases, and some equally amazing teasers for upcoming releases. It looks like when it's all said and done, and after a slow start, 2014 will be as good a year for UnHerd music as any.

And on an up note, I've recently heard the new Spoon reckid blasting from a yuppie mansion and at the local gym. That suggests Spoon have wormed their way into the consciousness of the greater public, which is extremely gratifying for someone that's been a fan since their days of being booted off the A&M label. "The Agony of Lafitte" must seem like a million years ago to Britt Daniel. Congrats to him and them. And even further congrats for They Want My Soul, the album and the song. The album is completely awesome, and the song might be my favorite track the band has yet produced (which is why it's leading off this mix's hit parade).

It's a small victory for the good guys. Next task: get the rest of these bands blasting outta gyms, houses, and clubs.

 I'm an Anarchist Communist Feminist Phlebotomist

1.  Sp00n They Want My Soul
2.  S1oan Keep Swinging (Downtown)
3.  Brand New Hate Feeling Bad Feels Good
4.  Happiness It's On You
5.  Army Navy The Mistakes
6.  Lydia Love1ess I Really Wanna See You
7.  Har1an Pepper TV/ Let It Slide
8.  Stephen Lawrenson Obscuriosity
9.  The So1icitors If You Let Me Hold You
10. Bitrs Indigo
11. The #1s Sharon Shouldn't
12. Twin Peaks Making Breakfast
13. Reining Sound My My
14. Blue Skies for B1ack Hearts The Past
15. The Dwarves Sluts of the USA
16. Suger Stems Some Might Say
17. Nude Beech For You
18. Sp1it Squad  Feel The Same About You
19. A1vvays Archie, Marry Me
20. The Orwe11s Bathroom Tile Blues
21. The Phenomenauts One in Seven Billion Girl
22. Strand of 0aks Goshen '97
23. The Muffz Paint By Numbers
24. The Empty Harts I Don't Want Your Love (If You Don't Want Me)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanx for another great set. Hilarious photo too - love this site for the music, but the photos and Bobby Orr updates also keep me coming back. Have you checked out Button by Button, by Cozy? It's prime UHM material.

Roy Pearl said...

Awesome! Thanks for the tip on Cozy - I hadn't heard them before. Definitely a band to watch out for.

Cheers!

snee said...

OK--so now Lydia Loveless is everything to me and I thank you for it

Roy Pearl said...

Excellent, Mike! And I know how you feel re: Lydia Loveless.