Saturday, May 25, 2024

Faves of 2024 Vol. 1


Last spring my wife and I took a trip to Las Vegas. It was my first time there. Got nothing against it or anything, but being neither a gambler nor golfer I've never really felt the necessity to visit. For that trip, though, my wife found us the Punk Rock Museum (she's pretty awesome that way)(and in most other ways). Now, I'll admit I was dubious. I mean, what kind of glitzy, sanitized silicone version of punk rock would a place like Vegas present? But my suspicions were erased immediately. Our tour guide was Greg Hetson (Circle Jerks, Bad Religion), which was some good OG cred and he was a really cool guy as well. And then we stepped into the first chamber, which was a shrine to the New York punk pioneers (Velvets, Dolls, Suicide, that whole Mercer Arts scene). They even had Johnny Thunders' red leather jacket - the one he was wearing outside of Gem Spa on the back cover of the Dolls debut album. It just got better from there, moving across the US, UK, and Canada (only major omission was Art Bergmann, which is almost unforgivable, given his "Bound For Vegas" should be their theme song). I don't promote much other than songs I like on this site, but I heartily recommend a visit if you're ever in the area. Punk rock people are the best.   

You Can Be Free If You Want To

1. Amp1ifier Heads w/ Barrence Whitfie1d They Came To Rock
2. Danie1 Romano You Can Steal My Kiss
3. Jeen Just Shadows
4. Band of the Underhand Hold On Wait a Minute
5. The Libertines Mustangs
6. Stephie James Party Doll
7. Marc Va1entine Eve of Distraction
8. The Bacarrudas You Can Have My Love If You Want It, Okay?
9. The Baby Sea1s My Labia's Lopsided But I Don't Mind
10. Jesus & Mary Chain Girl 71
11. Coach Party Hi Baby
12. Sheer Mag Eat It & Beat It
13. Extra Arms Everything Disappears
14. The Peewees The Wolf
15. Emperor Penguin I Wouldn't Put It Like That
16. Shannon & the C1ams Oh So Close Yet So Far
17. Mad 0nes Last Summer
18. Maddam Nick
19. The Prize First Sight
20. Wi1der Lee Riot
21. Jordan J0nes Can I Stay
22. The Ref1ectors Time Is All I Have
23. Aeria1 Cadence
24. The Yum Yums Baby Doll
25. The Lem0n Twigs Rock On (Over and Over)

4 comments:

KARK said...

Many thanks (also to your wife) for the museum suggestion. Since I live overseas, I am not sure I will ever be able to go there, but I will definitely check out your first bunch of 2024 faves!

c said...

It is monday, but it feels like friday. Best moment of the week!!

Anonymous said...

MUCHISIMAS GRACIAS ROY. ME RESULTA INCREIBLE QUE TE PUEDAS SUPERAR CON CADA ENTREGA. NO TE OLVIDES DEL GRAN PAT TODD PARA LAS SIGUIENTES CITAS. SALUDOS A TU MUJER POR TENER TAN BUENAS IDEAS

jonder said...

Something new from Barrence Whitfield is always welcome. Thanks for the heads up!